Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Campus Wildlife

I'm really into animals and stuff so I like to walk around campus and keep an eye out for wildlife. One thing about Alabama I like is there is so much open space and places for animals to hide and live on campus.

The ponds are pretty cool too. For anyone who isn't familiar, there is a pond behind Lakeside Diner and there is also a pond between Ten Hoor and B.B. Comer. The pond at Lakeside has 8 resident ducks in addition to turtles, bream, and carp.
The ducks are pretty friendly. They have been released by students. I feed them by hand often and have picked several up.


The other pond is pretty much full of turtles and carp. I also suspect there may be some bass in this pond, a couple times I've been eating there and heard/seen something strike at the surface. Carp don't do this because they eat plants.

There are alot of land dwelling animals on campus as well. Squirrels are everywhere, as are feral cats. The coolest animal I've seen on campus would have to be a groundhog. We don't have them where I live and this was the first one I've seen alive. He has a den right across the street from Ten Hoor.

Also I have passed this all year. It is behind B.B. Comer on a ridge overlooking the Turtle Pond. I'm 90% sure its a bat house.

3 comments:

Alex said...

I love the ducks in the pond behind Lakeside. One of my friends actually bought a couple of those ducks and put them in the pond.

mollyanne700 said...

These pictures are really good! Today I saw three turtles in the pond beside the parking deck. There was a baby turtle and two parents. I wanted to take a picture, but I didn't have a camera!

Joe Kennedy said...

cool pictures, I always saw that bat house from afar and wanted to get a closer look.