Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Church

One of the easiest transitions I made my freshman year was attending a new church. I am Roman Catholic and try to go to mass every week. Back home my church is very large and holds a significant portion of my city it seems!

Church here is very different. I go to St. Francis of Assisi. For the first time I am no longer attending mass with the priest who baptized me. As much as I enjoy the personal relationship that my family has developed with my priest at home over the course of my life, St. Francis also has its pros.

St. Francis is a much smaller church and easily becomes crowded. This can be annoying sometimes, but usually the church is just full enough to not feel empty.

The first thing I noticed is, nearly everyone here at mass sings. Back home this is not the case, and mass does not feel as jubilant and energetic.

As many people go to school at University of Alabama, I still see many friends, classmates, and teachers at church.

As difficult as the transition to living away from home was in some ways, changing churches was not one of them. I think anyone who is a practicing Catholic or might be interested in the Catholic faith should check out St. Francis.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I felt the same way man. That church seemed so small compared to what I was used to back home. But I got used to it and I like going there. The night mass helps too